Friday, May 1, 2009

Architecture

The chapter I read in my Photos That Inspire book last night was on photographing buildings.

It says that frontal shots of entire buildings are uninteresting. One should tighten up and take the shot of just the point that you thought made it intriguing to take a picture in the first place. This is a church I photographed today in Monroe. I find the entire building to be somewhat mysterious and intriguing.

But, okay. I tightened up thinking the facade as well as the 3 windows below it were what I really liked. However, I know the instructor in that book would say it is still too busy to focus on one thing. I agree.

So I tightened the shot up even more, concentrating only on the 3 windows on the brick wall. Do you think this is the best shot? Do you find it pleasing or interesting?

After that, I zoomed in closer on another window, but included some flowering rhodies to add interest to the composition.

Then I focused in on one of the 'towers' on either side of the facade. Probably still not tight enough. What is that on the very tip top? I didn't see it when I was snapping the photo with my Canon PowerShot SX100 IS point and shoot. (I almost always have that camera in my purse when I go out.)

When I got home, though, I noticed it on the computer screen, so enlarged just that segment of the photo. Dang if it isn't a big ol' black bird posing for me! Makes me wonder what all that white stuff on there is now..........


A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams

2 comments:

tammh said...

Wonderful pictures and interesting close-ups. I kept looking at them, wondering what else seemed particularly outstanding in them.... guess what it was... the blue sky!! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

keep letting us know photo tips :))