Friday, May 29, 2009

Hormiga

aka: Ant. To be specific, this is a carpenter ant. They are like termites, eating wood and houses. We have had our first hatch of them for 2009. Everywhere. I stomp on them, smash them and generally hate them. However, in taking close-ups with the macro lens.........

I see they are kind of cute! Just like in the movie Ants.

No, I probably will not start collecting and studying ants as another hobby. But they seem to be pretty amazing creatures! Just look at those legs!
And they discovered something very interesting: when it comes to walking, most of the ant's thinking and decision-making is not in its brain at all. It's distributed. It's in its legs. ~Kevin Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Selah just opened her birthday gift today...an ANT FARM :-) she was So excited that she went and found an ant to put in it right away. I bet she'd find more at your house though huh?:) Hey, it was pretty cool, she got your Starbucks card on her birthday today! That was fun!

Beanball said...

Happy Birthday, Selah! May your days be filled with hormigos :-)