Sunday, May 10, 2009

Big Surprise!

Had a wonderful Mother's Day today. Church with the 'kids' to begin with, then brunch at Scott and Bethany's....... Fresh strawberries on Belgium waffles, topped with whipped cream. Fresh eggs, scrambled and seasoned and cooked to perfection. Peppered bacon, the kind you buy at the meat counter and they wrap in paper! Orange juice, coffee, tea, or cocoa. It was absolutely delish! Thanks S and B! After brunch, it was suggested that we all walk over to Ryan's house to pick up a Bacchi Ball game to play. When I entered the door...................
I saw a terrarium with lights on. That meant some sort of living creature was its inhabitant, and since I know Ryan is not fond of many types of living creatures (commitment, you know), I knew immediately it had to be a gift from these three! I LOVE living creatures :-) But...... what was it?!?!

I peeked in!

Ryan opened the lid for me so I could grab it up!

It is a cute little leopard gecko! A fairly new hatchling, too!

When it is full-size, it will be between 8-9 inches long. It is a desert gecko. They are docile, and it is likely it will sit on my shoulders around my neck as it grows older! Gonna be my new Bud! What do you think, Owen and Olivia? Pretty cool?

I am not sure what to name it, though. Ryan thinks it should be called Mr. President. I am not overly fond of that choice, but will bear it in mind. Here is what I am going to ask of you all...... think of a great name for me, and I will send a $10 Starbuck's gift card to the name I either choose, or draw out of a hat. BTW, we don't know if it is a male or female. What do they eat, you ask?

Crickets and mealworms. Fortunately the local pet store can supply me with these! They are not vegetarian. Who can tell me what a meat-eater is?

What a hoot to watch it hunt and eat!



It was a fun day, only devoid of my daughter, Bethany (in Guatemala). But she called and blogged mother's day wishes, as well as sent a picture from Guatemala weeks ago, not knowing how long it would take to arrive here! Thanks to all of you 'kids'!
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a leopard gecko for a few years at school, but because of the samonela scare among reptiles (state law) sent it home with one of the students. We named him Geiko (as it was in the era that all the parents were receiving Geiko "credit" cards in the mail and the kids had started a Geiko club :-) Was kinda fitting you know! Yep, they are carnivorous...was kind of a hastle to always keep crickets on hand. However, I had one student who used them as pets for their elderly foster home...and swore by the meal worms. Fattened him up in no time. However, I thought he was much cuter before he got fat. He did have an exciting life at school, though lost a finger and a bit of tail there :-) They are cute! Steve says I needed a puppy for my nurturing fix when all the kids were gone...a gecko could be cheaper! Nice thoughts from your kiddos!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift from the kids! I can't wait to meet him/her. Hannah and I are working on a name...Happy Mother's day!

Amberlynne said...

You have such thoughtful kids! Your gecko is SO cool!

Nancy said...

Olivia says name him Jerry

Owen says Stewee

I say Spot

micaela jean said...

I'm going with Pebbles.

Anonymous said...

the gecko is so cute!
I´m going to brainstorm about possible names for it....