Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ducklings Sighting

A children's classic, Robert McCloskey's Make Way for Ducklings has been a favorite of mine for years. I read it to my children when they were young. In reality, though, I thought the likelihood of ever seeing such a sight on a busy road was next to nothing.

I love how this book is printed on heavy paper with brown, antique-looking ink. Here is the part in the book where Mrs. Mallard escorts her ducklings across a busy street with the aid of a policeman.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I was traveling down Highway 203, and I had to put on my brakes and stop for Mrs. Wood Duck and her pile of adorable, fluffy ducklings as they crossed from the pond on one side of the highway to the field on the opposite side! Cars coming in the opposite direction slowed down when they saw me stopped, so all were able to safely make the trek across the highway without getting creamed. I wish I had taken a photo, but I didn't think I was in a safe spot to rifle through my purse for my point and shoot and take the time to snap a picture. I regret that, now.

Wood Ducks are common in wetland areas, which abound aplenty in our area. At first I thought it was a mallard, but the female mallard does not have the color in her wing, as does the Wood Duck. Look at the gorgeous male Wood Duck!

Here is a female Wood Duck. Notice the pretty blue, teal and green in her wing feathers.
My own ducklings will be shipped out to me this coming Monday, I should receive a call from the post office early Tuesday or Wednesday, telling me to come down and pick up my 'live animal' package. I can't wait!

Make Way for Ducklings! ~Robert McCloskey quote

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More owl, hawk or coyote food, eh? Sorry to spoil the picture
:-) I hope they make it!

Nancy said...

Sweet! I recently saw a family of geese along hwy 3 near the shipyard....it's that time of year!