My newest hobby is birdwatching, mostly in my own backyard. As if I don't have enough hobbies. The bird that entertained
Chereé and I yesterday on top of
Heybrook was this Gray Jay (
Perisoreus canadensis), also called Camp Robber because it rummages through camps looking for scraps of food. It is easily tamed and will fly to your hand if offered food.

It will eat just about anything! What is it eating here?

Some of my squished PB&J sandwich.

It also stores extra food for winter, balling it together in a sticky mass, placing it on a tree limb often hiding it with lichen or bark. You were right
Chereé!
Now, my really exciting spotting of today was at my own feeding station that I just set up on Thursday. First I saw a pair of Gold Finches, bright yellow! Didn't have my camera. BUT.... after that, along came a pair of Bullock's Orioles! I had heard we had them in
Washington, but was told it was difficult to attract them. I really wanted to see some, so I can hardly believe my good fortune in spotting them the second day since my feeder was up!

The female oriole is at the top feeder, scarfing down sunflower seeds. Her wings are more brown and white, whereas the
male's wings are black and white. The top one may actually be a male juvenile, as they look more like the female. The female is supposed to have a solid orange head.

Male juvenile, or a female. I need to learn more before I am sure.

The male eating from the wild bird seed platter. It is bright orange and black...... very beautiful!
Bless the flowers and the weeds, my birds and bees.
2 comments:
bird watching is a favorite with our family as well...February is the best time to see all kinds of birds. We've seen as many as 8 different types all at once during February when they are migrating.
I love sitting outside listening to their songs....that's what I'm trying to learn right now...which song is sung by which bird....challenging but fun!
And by the way...that's a cute little guy eating your sandwich...I don't think I've ever noticed a grey jay before.
We have the evening grosbeaks at our house....
Post a Comment