Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Hatchlings!

No, not here. Are you kidding? We had rain, sleet , ice chunk rain and snow here today. The poor babies would have died from exposure! However, my friend Terry, in California, has been following the nest of eggs you saw in today's earlier post. So amazing to have that on your front door! How fortunate she is.


Yesterday she heard little cheeps and bird noises, so she checked the nest and there they all were! I know that day-old hatchlings are in reality kind of ugly, but aren't they CUTE?!?!?! I hope to follow their growth on this blog. Yes, I have Terry's permission. But she needs to send me daily updates :o) She took this photo with a point and shoot camera, hanging over the top of the door!




It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad. ~ C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh wow! What a fun discovery!

Nancy said...

that IS exciting!
When we lived in Olympia we had a chickadee make a nest in my hanging fushia basket. Zach and Micaela were much younger and it was a treat for them. However, a crow came along and ate the babies. :O0
The next spring the chickadees tried again...I beleive they were a bit more succesful the second time around, but I wasn't as thrilled and I felt a bit guilty when I watered my flowers..the little eggs would float up to the top of the nest and then settle back down once the water had been absorbed. This time I wasn't as willing to sacrifice my $30 hanging basket just so a crow could come along and have lunch. Again.