Vegetable gardening might be considered one of the great conservative rituals. ~ David M. Tucker, 1993
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Down and Dirty
The last two days have been really warm and sunny. That means I had to start planting some of the vegetable garden that is fair game in the cooler weather. Our windows of dry, sunny weather are short and far between. Tomorrow the rains begin again. So.......
Here are the seedlings nestled in the cold frame and enjoying fresh, warm air during the days.
I rototilled most of the garden Sunday and Monday (not doing the lasagna method, Mamapua), and got the pea and sweet pea plants in along the fence. My grandson, Zach, dumped and spread manure for me while he was here Easter weekend. :-)
Then I set out to plant lettuce and carrots. They will survive (underground) any snow or frost. Snow is in the forecast for Thursday night.
This is the plot of carrots. Those are mason bee homes in the background. They are great for pollination. I also got my parsley, onions and shallots in. I thoroughly enjoyed working out in the garden, digging the soft, warm soil, getting the beginnings of the garden in the ground and soaking up the Vitamin D. Is has saved my sanity and returned me to a happier state of being :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow...busy day. Planting I don't mind...but weeding is pretty lame.
It was beautiful! I got an extra day on Tuesday, as I was watching Kari's kiddos...another trial run, poor Kari. Steve made me an herb garden box...hope they do better than in the big garden as the weeds will be fewer...even Scott might like it :-)
Post a Comment