Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mate

Mate is an infusion containing stimulants including caffeine, prepared by steeping dried leaves of yerba mate in hot water. Mate is served with a metal straw from a shared hollow calabash gourd. The straw is called a bombilla, and is traditionally made from silver. Modern cheaper ones are made of nickel silver, stainless steel or hollow stemmed cane. The gourd is known as a mate or a guampa. As with other brewed herbs, yerba mate leaves are dried, chopped and ground into a powdery mixture called yerba. The bombilla acts as both a straw and a sieve. The submerged end is flared with small hole or slots that allow the brewed liquid in but block the chunky matter that makes up much of the mixture. It is rich in antioxidants, more so than red wine or green tea. Studies show it can lower cholesterol, protect the liver and maybe help fight obesity.

One morning in Bolivia while at the market with Gabe, we entered into an alcove where a woman was to exchange some dollars for bolivianos. Part of the process seemed to involve social chit chat along with the serving of mate. It is common practice to use the same mate gourd without washing it in between people. Some things concerning hygiene are still not understood in third world countries.

I shared mine with Essie, which I found out later was a social no-no. It was meant to be totally drunk by the person it was offered to. The next morning Essie had explosive diarrhea......... oops........ sure made a cute picture, though :-)

5 comments:

Nancy said...

did you bring some home with you? How does it taste?

Beanball said...

come on over and have a guord with me :-)

Nancy said...

I'll be right over. :o)

micaela jean said...

I remember trying that with Aunt Bethany J. I wasn't so hip on the flavor but Owen liked it. P.S. I did a new post G'ma! Finaly! :0(

Anonymous said...

Your bees and spiders are spectacular! Makes you appreciate those hateful things. Enjoyed looking at all your Bolivian shots...again. Nice way to catagorize them! K, S & E all enjoyed seeing them too!