Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Raspberries and Friends of Another Sort

Today I went up to soak the raspberries. I was greeted to a sight of red jewels ready to be picked! When I was up there a few days ago, there wasn't any ripe berries yet, so this was a treat! I leave for Bolivia in two days, and thought perhaps I would miss the raspberry season altogether. I plan to make strawberry-raspberry freezer jam tonight, making use of the strawberries I gleaned from the garden last night. Perfect timing :-)




"Be off," says the Fairy,
"As quick as you can,
Over the meadows
To the little green lane
That dips to the hayfields
Of Farmer Grimes:
I've berried those hedges
A score of times;"
~ From "Berries"
by Walter De La Mare



While watering, man best friends kept me company. What were we all watching for? A bear. Yep, that is correct. A bear. Or maybe a family of bears. Every day we get a report from different neighbors that they have seen a bear in their yard. Two bigger bears have been spotted multiple times, and my husband spied a cub once down the road a piece. Wishing to take a photo of the bears to post on this blog, I carry my camera whenver I go outside these days.


We watch and wait. Scout sits right next to me so that he can protect me should any or all of the bears show up ...... well, okay, so he sits by me so that I can protect him. Boogera prefers to crouch a ways off from us so that she can be the first to catch a glimpse of the bear family.............



After some time passes and no bear approaches, Scout wanders to a more comfortable spot to keep an eye out.





Finally, he gets bored and decides to read a copy of the book Photographing Children, but gets testy when I catch him loafing off.











So he goes in search of Tillie to rouse her up from her lazy nap and rub noses. Why aren't you watching out for the bears? he seems to ask.

I think I hear something coming! Go check it out! responds Tillie.

Okay.........



It wasn't a bear, but Scout sports a worried look on his face when I see him come around the row of raspberry bushes with Coyote, the rooster who thinks he is the big boss around here.......... Can you read the battle of the wills in their stances?


Tillie is a bit more non-chalant about the intruder, but I noticed she never took her eyes off of him!

If there was any doubt as to whether or not this is Coyote's last day of life here on this green earth, his stealing the raspberries off the vines cemented it for me. Yesterday he cornered me and kept flying at me with his spurs bared. Ever see how a rooster charges his victim in the air, feet first? Before that, he was in the coop with his lady friends, but was too rough on them in his ardor. Sorry, pal. You may be beautiful, but this is my yard!!!


Rooster today, feather duster tomorrow!
~ Russian Proverb

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Ooh...I was hoping to see that bear! Raspberry-strawberry jam sounds good. On one of your potato rolls.....yum.

another fun post to read...Ü