Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom and Flowers

Happy 4th of July!

Happy Birthday to our nation......... it is still one of the greatest countries on earth, even though we seem to be on a slippery downward slope. I don't think we truly appreciate the freedoms that we have in America.


To grace the day, I picked a bouquet of peonies and astranties from my garden.









I planted this peony several years ago, but this is my first year to have more than one or two blooms. I like them! I may need to plant other colors.




The identification tag for this plant reads astrantie rubra. Rubra means red. The picture on the tag shows flowers that are a dark maroon-red color. I think they mislabeled the pot. Most likely it should be called astrantie blanca. Then it would indeed be a primarily white flower. They do indeed have red in the centers, which makes for a very pretty contrast.






On closer inspection, one can even see red stripes on the white pedals. Perhaps is should be called astrantie blanca con rubra.












I think the astrantie is very appropriate for a 4th of July bouquet. Don't you think it looks like a firework exploding in the sky?


Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

No comments: