
Lady's Mantle, or alchemilla vulgaris, grows abundantly in my yard. Actually, you can see it in the ditches along our property, too. It seeds everywhere. Although I love many things about it, Lady's Mantle has become a weed that I must constantly pull up. Of course, I leave patches of them here and there. Alchemilla means 'the little magical one'.
Lady's Mantle is primarily used for gynecological purposes in the herbal world. Hence, part of the reason for its name. The leaves are said to help with heavy periods, hemorrhaging and infertility. It is also supposed to help with bruising and other bleeding issues, as well as the healing of open wounds. A tea to drink is usually made from the leaves for these purposes. It can also be used to make a dye from.
Leaves with folds in them and shaped like a lady's cloak, combined with the a waterproofness that beads up rain drops or dew, are the main qualities that this plant's name derives from. Those are my favorite things about this plant, and why it finds a home amongst my herbs.
"When one is ill, whether young or old, let two handfuls of Lady's Mantle in a measure of water boil for as long as it takes to hard boil an egg, and drink it." ~from and old herbal
2 comments:
I have an abundence of Lady's mantle as well....and it all started with some small plants you gave me! :o)
Neat plant! I read your previos blogs and realized that I did not even know that the 4th had passed by already :-/! I think this country wins the "leaving trash everywhere freedom" though.
Post a Comment