Friday, October 16, 2009

Cooking Fresh Pumpkin

Most of the pumpkin recipes I use call for canned unsweetened pumpkin. All that is, is cooked and mashed fresh pumpkin. The easiest way for me to cook a fresh pumpkin that I will be mashing, is to put 1/2 inch or so of water in a baking pan and set the seeded and fiberless pumpkin halves upside down in the pan. Bake at 475 for 20 - 30 minutes, until the pumpkin is nice and soft, easily pierced with a fork. You can also use lower heat and cook longer. Sometimes I do them at 300 for a couple of hours.

Like so. Once they are cooked, scoop out the soft, moist flesh and either mash with a masher, or puree in a food processor. It is then ready to use in your favorite pumpkin recipes that call for canned, unsweetened pumpkin. I do several pumpkins at a time, keeping a ready supply in a tupperware container in my refrigerator. Fresh pumpkin Pie made out of this tastes way better than if you use actual canned pumpkin from the grocery store :-)

So are you ready for a couple more pumpkin recipes?


4 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree! You taught me how to use fresh punkins years ago and the knowledge has served me well! :O)

The Claussens said...

i'm assuming you grow them yourself! what seeds do you use? i want to get some to plant for next year (you can't get pumpkin here and it is one of my favorites!!)

Shirley said...

Sugar Pumpkin seeds. It is the best type for cooking with.

Anonymous said...

Amazing variety of uses! They all look delicious. Wish you would come cook for us :-)