Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mushrooms: Another New Hobby?

We are stumbling upon so many different varieties of mushrooms in our yard this year! My curiosity has been peaked to the max now, and on my list of things to do is to check out some library books on the subject of identifying the species of the Pacific Northwest.

This one is particularly fascinating!

Never seen anything quite like it!

The cap is shaggy-scaly, a pretty shade of tannish-orange, with delicate black curls on the edge.

It is precariously supported on a tall stalk, yet stands perfectly straight. I tried searching on-line for its name, unsuccessfully. Does anyone know the name of this beauty?


Trying to take over the garden by my greenhouse and now invading my lawn, these mushrooms are a nuisance! The first picture shows them before they burst open; the second shows them having already exploded. When I scoop handfuls of them out of the ground, a copious, fine yellow powder escapes to cover the surrounding 5 foot radius. Probably assuring a heavy crop for next year.......


More newcomers to my yard this year.......... you cannot tell by the photo, but the cap on the middle one is about 3" tall! Pretty interesting!


I hope to be able to report back to you with the names of these and perhaps other mushrooms soon! Meantime, if you recognize any of them, clue me in!

2 comments:

tammh said...

Good Lord girl!!! You continue to amaze and impress me with everything you do!! You have become a phenomenal photographer!! What a natural talent and excellent eye you have for the world around you. I hope to put your book of photographic memories on my coffee table one day. Thank you for sharing and showing me all the beauty this exists around us each and every day... and for being my friend.

Beth said...

I agree that those pictures are great! Good work!