Here a few of the places one can buy food ready to eat in Bethany's town.
This was just a little orange juice stand set up. Oranges in Guatemala are a green-yellow color.
This couple sells a stacked taco dish mostly, but they also have the most delicious french fries, topped with catsup, mustard and hot sauce! The generous woman knows Bethany loves them, so often offers her a plate of them for no price as she walks by.
I am not sure what this fellow sells. We never ate from there while I was visiting. All of these stands you see on this blog, with the exception of the orange juice stand, are on the main street, the one Bethany lives on. It is only a few blocks long.
These ladies appear to be selling fruit...... oranges, melons, pineapple and ??? You can see a hamburger stand behind them, though I never saw it open while I was there. Bethany says it is rarely open.
Next to the hamburger stand is this hot dog (chevere) spot. I only saw it opened once, on the day that the First Lady (President's wife) visited, and the 'town square' was packed with people. That is another story for a blog.
A favorite, this lady sold chuchitos from a basket and warm atol from a pot, set out on a table with a small bench and table next to it for folks to eat at. I am not sure if it all was so delicious because it just was, or because they were warm and so nice to hold on rainy, cold nights........ Who cares? It was excellent comfort food!
Chuchito
There were also many kitchens out of homes where you could buy fresh tortillas for your meals, and choose from blue corn, yellow corn or white corn, all with a slightly different flavor.
Tortillas Nergas
Tortillas Blancas
3 comments:
I wanna go! Yum! Reminds me of the times I've gone to Mexico. Mmmm...
Can't go wrong with a tortilla! Too bad they don't do those in Bolivia!
That looks really good! You look a little cold in the one pic with all the coats and scarves on, what was the temperature?
Post a Comment