Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Elecampagne

I have been practicing what I learned about taking pictures with my camera set in the 'Manual' mode on my DSLR camera.  I actually like some of these better than when set in the fully automatic mode, which is where my camera setting resided before the class a month ago.  This is good news.  Encouraging :-}


This is the flower of the herb Elecampagne.  I planted it a few years ago next to the chicken coop.  It struggles there, but I just read it likes moist ground, so I may replant it elsewhere next year.   

Wonder what it is used for? 

Diuretic, tonic, diaphoretic, expectorant, alterative, antiseptic, astringent and gently stimulant. It was employed by the ancients in certain diseases of women, also in phthisis, in dropsy and in skin affections.


In herbal medicine it is chiefly used for coughs, consumption and other pulmonary complaints, being a favourite domestic remedy for bronchitis. It has been employed for many years with good results in chest affections, for which it is a valuable medicine as it is in all chronic diseases of the lungs asthma and bronchitis. It gives relief to the respiratory difficulties and assists expectoration. Its principal employment as a separate remedy is in acute catarrhal affections, and in dyspepsia attended with relaxation and debility, given in small, warm and frequently repeated doses. It is, however, seldom given alone, but most frequently preferred in combination with other medicines of a similar nature. It is best given in the form of decoction, the dose being a small teaspoonful, three times a day.

~Botanical.com





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe jodi should use it:-) she is having athsma issues...wonder if it would help that?

Nancy said...

What a beautiful flower and so helpful too. :o)

Jodi said...

Oh I do love those interesting facts. I think want the plant! What it doesn't tell you is how to get it from the plant...

tammh said...

Holy shmoly !! I LOVE that picture!!! The lighting and coloring are amazing!!!!