It is so pleasant to hear the twitters and songs of various birds as they journey back north. I have enjoyed watching them stop by the feeders. Some are here to stay, while others are just stopping by to take refreshment on their long trips. Following are my friends that I managed to catch on camera yesterday:
Song Sparrow
It is recognizable by the dark spot in the center of the chest. They defend their territory by singing from thick shrubs. I love to listen to them!
Spotted Towhee This is the male. The female has the same markings, but is not as vibrant in color..... more of a charcoal than black, and less red on the underside.
These arrived late last fall and have hung around the entire winter. They will likely move down to a lower elevation to build their ground nests to raise their broods.
Dark-Eyed Junco
This is a pair of Oregon Dark-Eyed Juncos. They prefer ground feeding, though I have seen them nibbling from the hanging feeder.
Chestnut-Backed Chickadee
Distinguished from similar birds such as the Black-Capped Chickadee (which I have also seen here) by the rich, warm chestnut back and sides, it is the most colorful of the chickadees.
Varied Thrush
This is the female, with subdued orange tones. The male has bright orange colorings, and I can't wait to see him! Whereas the female is brownish, the male has striking black feathers. I do hope they nest in my yard!
Spring would not be spring without bird songs. - Francis M. Chapman
4 comments:
Wow, how did you learn all these things?
I wish I could get a bird to come to my yard....we have crows, if you can call them birds///
Great pictures!
fabulous pictures!! Why don't you send them in to the Birds and Blooms magazine... I'll bet they'd love to publish them along with a little writing from you! C'mon.. try it! You're so good ... amazing really.
Post a Comment