Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Snapshot of Long Ago

Christmas 1962 was a special one. It would be the last time the entire Arthur Vaughan Clan, minus Grandpa Arthur himself, would be together. Here are the four living sons of Arthur, and their families. One son, Charles, had been killed at age 15 after being hit on his bike. Grandpa Arthur had passed in 1961. Leukemia would claim the life of Robert Vaughan, son of Herb Vaughan, in December of 1963. Robert stands in the back row, 5th from the left. From my understanding, the grief of his passing stole the joy and breath out of the Christmas season for Herb, his wife Inez and sister, Jan, so that the entire family decided to no longer celebrate Christmas day together anymore. Little did we understand at the time this photo was snapped,
the significance of this Christmas time gathered together as a family.

In this photo you see Grandma Cora Vaughan, her 4 sons Earl, Herbert, Leland and my father Lloyd and their wives and children. There are 4 cousins in the young adult age range and 8 of us cousins in the younger age category. In addition there are 2 spouses belonging to cousins, as well as the live-in companion/friend that came to live with my grandma after Grandpa died the previous year. I am smack in the middle in the rear of those sitting down.

“Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.”~ Kenin Arnold

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow! You can learn so much from a photo. Look how dressy everyone looked.

It made me feel sad to think of not wanting to gather with my family because of death. Jesus makes all the difference.

And those ladies are wearing corsages! I love it. Nobody wears those anymore. My mother and grandmothers would MAKE me wear one on Mother's Day growing up in the 80's. We'd go to Bridges Restuarant in Aberdeen and my mother couldn't understnad why I was "pouting" about having to wear that thing. Aack! So not cool. But I'm older and more mature now, maybe I'll wear one this Christmas and force one on Miss. M! :O)

Beth said...

What a cool picture.

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of information that I did not remember. Like I didn't know gma had a live in care taker. Neat to see the picture. Thanks Shirley!

Shirley said...

Ginny - The lady that lived with G'ma wasn't considered a caregiver...... I believe she was just a companion. Someone to make sure she didn't fall alone, keep her company, etc.

Nancy - What a hoot! I can picture you pouting with a big corsage poking into your neck or jaw!