Friday, February 27, 2009

Gnocchi

Miss M and I cooked a batch of gnocchi for dinner. I learned the art of this savory dish from my gourmet cook friend, Arielle. I wish she would start a gourmet cooking blog. Someday, she says. Meanwhile, I will continue to be her willing student and blog some of her dishes myself:

After baking potatoes (or in my case, I boiled them), put them through a ricer. I forgot, though, and mashed them instead.

Add some grated Reggiano Parmesano cheese

Stir or mash in a couple of eggs (or more if a big batch). Add a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

By hand, mix in 2 cups flour (more if a big batch). It is now ready to form into whatever size gnocchi you want.

This is a gnocchi board, used to rolls the gnocchi on to give it ridges

Miss M is flipping the gnocchi off the board with a flick of her wrist

Bring a large pot of water to boil, and drop the gnocchi into it. They will sink to the bottom. After they float to the top, let them boil another 2-3 minutes.

Scoop them out with a pasta scoop, or some kind of slotted spoon.

Place several on a plate and top with tomato or pesto sauce. Here we used some of the very tasty tomato sauce that Ryan, Darrell and I made last fall.

Gnocchi, garlic bread and broccoli with a lot of garlic........ mmmmmm....... one of my favorites!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, that's an impressive meal!

Nancy said...

oh that looks good...where can you find one of thoe nifty roller thingies...?

Beanball said...

I believe we found it at a kitchen store...... like Sur La Tab. It is optional, though. You can have gnocchi without ridges.... but it seems to be a trademark of gnocchi.