Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Favorite Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie!

Though not the biggest fan of rhubarb, I do enjoy the mix of rhubarb with strawberries and , of course, plenty of sugar!  I tried out a new (to me) recipe from a book that has long found its home in my kitchen, Granny Stark's Search for The Perfect Fruit Pie, put  out by Storey Publishing. The recipe was submitted by a Georgiann Carroll. We thoroughly enjoyed this pie which entails using orange marmalade!

Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups sliced rhubarb
2 cups slice strawberries
2 Tbl melted marmalade (any kind)
uncooked pie shells
2 Tbl butter
1/4 cup orange liqueur

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Mix together sugar, flour, orange rind and salt.

Combine rhubarb and strawberries into sugar mixture.








Brush bottom of pie shell with marmalade (see photo below)

Place fruit on marmalade.

Dot with butter.






Sprinkle with orange liqueur.

 I didn't have this, so I took 1/2 of the orange that I zested and squeezed it over the pie.  Seemed to work fine.





Top with upper crust.  I sprinkled sugar on the crust before baking, also. Never can have too much sugar with rhubarb (smile) !

Bake for 1 hour.

I found the pie needed to cool in order for it to set up and not be syrupy.  You can serve it with vanilla ice cream, or eat it al la carte!  Either way, it is pretty dang delicious!

3 comments:

tammh said...

Got the salivary glands going with these pictures ! ooohh weee ! Looks Mahvalous dahling simply mahvalous. yum ! and can I say I had to chuckle when you wrote out "dot with butter" more like chunks of butter ?? double yum !!!

tammh said...

by the way... that's an awfully clean looking oven !! What's your secret ?

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was going to make the same comment on "DOT" with butter!!! Does look yummy...our rhubarb has failed to amount to anything the last two years...