Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Medicinal Herb Gardens

On the wonderfully sunny Sunday just past, Darrell and I went to Seattle to have lunch with Bethany and take a walk through the UW's  Medicinal Herb Gardens.  It was supposed to be a guided tour, but apparently the budget cuts hit in this area, too, as the tours were cancelled, but the gardens could be investigated on our own.

 Several large greenhouses are just to the south of the herb gardens.  Those are scarlet runner beans vining up the ropes.  If you have ever grown those, you can imagine what a riotous mass of scarlet blooms will adorn this massive area before too long!

The gardens sprawled around on what we hear is about 2 acres.  There were hundreds of plants, some of which I recognized and even grew, others I had heard of but never seen, and then a host of plants I had neither heard of nor seen before! It would have been fascinating to hear what they were all used for!



A couple of cool ones: This cactus looked like a 4 foot tall 'hen' of Hens and Chicks, so I will give it the name of 'Rooster".  The amazing pink flower was actually not a part of the herb gardens, but was some tall bush we passed on our walk back to Bethany's apartment, just a few blocks from the campus.

One of our favorites, we think stiff tickseed has a quiet character of its own, but not to be overlooked!

1 comment:

tammh said...

I would be saying 'gorgeous' and 'amazing' and 'unbelievable photography' in every comment box. Really... you ARE an amazing photographer. I never get tired of looking at your pictures. Your timing, composition, focus, lighting, and balance in each picture is just remarkable.