Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bounty

I am frantically trying to harvest and put up the garden before I run away to the East Coast for 3 weeks. Weather-Wise, it was a magnificent summer, and in turn the garden is producing beautiful vegetables!


You need to be from the Pacific Northwest to fully appreciate these tomato pictures. I cannot even remember the last time I actually harvested a red big tomato! But this is the year! Doesn't take much to make a gardener happy up here........ just give her a few red tomatoes!

I have, though, managed to eek out a few cherry tomatoes over the summers, but this year they are coming like bees to honey! These are Sweet Millions.

A Bowl Full of Cherries!
My friend, Erika, shared this really simple meal with me many summers ago. Mix a bit of olive oil, a goodly amount of minced fresh garlic, a bunch of cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters, a ton of fresh basil and a tad of sugar. Cook up some angel hair pasta, and scoop the tomato mixture on top. Generously sprinkle with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and you have one tantalizingly delicious supper! We have eaten this for the last 3 nights now. It is that good! Plus we have tons of tomatoes to use up :-)

It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. ~ Lewis Grizzard

No comments: