Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Harvest

Last week an unexpected cool and showery (and welcome) day lent me the opportunity to put up some of the summer harvest. I experimented by making some Raspberry Rhubarb Relish.



It turned out a deep shade of red, and though it sounds a bit sketch, it tastes pretty dang good! I think it is mainly a meat accompaniment. Like with chicken or turkey. I will try it out on the sisterhood gang next week, as it is my turn to host it.

This is Strawberry Raspberry freezer jam. Mmmm, mmmm. One of our all-time favorites!


Zucchini and other summer squashes are screaming to be picked now, too.

Every few years I make up a grand scale batch of Zucchini Relish that will last for several years.

It was time to roust up another batch this year.

It is a sweet relish that I use in sandwiches such as egg salad, and potato salad, amongst other things. It has a nice and mellow flavor to it.

Several weeks ago Anna Lyn and Joy and I made up Strawberry Freezer Jam. I had a mother load of strawberries in the garden this year!

The difference in this particular jam, though, was that is has only a minute amount of sugar in it. For example, most jams have close to, if not equal, amounts of sugar to fruit proportions. This one uses xanthum as a thickener, and to 8 cups of crushed fruit, only uses 1/2 cup sugar! Amazing!

It tastes almost like the fresh, slightly tart fruit right from the garden. So delicious! There still is much to put up this summer, but I am feeling good about what has been accomplished thus far :-)
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. -Bible (Old Testament)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Sister! I would love to know the details of the sugar-less jam. Thanks!

Shirley said...

In the strawberry world, it works out that 16 cups of whole berries equal 8 cups crushed berries. Raspberries aren't much different whole or crushed. But for say 8 cups crushed berries, you add 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tsp xanthum powder. Stir it in, let it set about 15 minutes. Stir to make sure sugar is dissolved (dissloves easily since it isn't much), then put into containers and freeze. That's it. You can adjust sugar more of less to your liking. The exactness of berries makes little difference. The only thing you need to know is that once you take it out of the freezer, it needs to be used within several days, as it really has little preservative in it. Change ratios with the amount of crushed berries you use,

tammh said...

Gads girl! you rival some of the great cooks... what fab photos and luscious looking berries! Those raspberries are red gold. I can almost taste them!.... almost....