Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Desert Hot Springs
Desert Hot Springs is a ritzy, over-populated tourist area today, but in the 1950's it was quite out of the way to get to my grandparent's little resort for a visit with them. It seemed like we drove forever on an unpaved, twisting, winding road, and before we arrived at G'pa and G'ma Gardner's resort I had vomited several times from carsickness. I was very young when they owned this resort, but two things I remember clearly: being carsick and having chicken pox while there.
And the swimming pool! Okay, three things! Here is a photo of our little family enjoying the hot sun and cool water. My Grandpa Gardner must have been sort of a vagabond. Seems like he had lodges and resorts sprinkled throughout California, though only one at a time. In his older years he and his wife finally settled down in Lakeport, CA. I suspect his wife, Margaret (the one I knew as Grandma), put her foot down, as they had adopted a little girl to raise. She was my Aunt Cindy, but being just a wee older than my brother Kenny, was more like a cousin to us. Actually, this may be Cindy in the photo, with my parents and Kenny and Ginny in floaty tubes. Hard to tell with those dreadful bathing caps all females were forced to wear in swimming pools back then! Where was the women's liberation movement when you needed it?!?! I heard that this resort existed until the 1990's sometime. I cannot recall the name of it, but perhaps someone reading this can? Imagine how much it would be worth today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment