The raspberry, cut ruby of a hundred
bubble colonies strung together,
a tiny shower cap waiting to be pulled over scalp. But wait!
The raspberry explodes on impact.
Our fingers are not delicate enough.
Juice extraction can not be avoided; stains are the only option.
To pop one in your mouth is a violation!
The raspberry bursts between teeth even as tongue probes its cavity.
Dribbles left, messy, marking the cleft of chin.
Fat-lipped, orangutan smile, indulgent, belies
misery of the Eastern Bloc abused and emptied
until seeds wedge themselves into your gums.
Every raspberry is victimized from birth.
~ 2005 Ben Rawluk
4 comments:
where did those beauties come from?!
More importantly than where they came from; are they headed into a dessert? And am I invited?
They came from..... are you redy for this? ...... QFC!!!! And were ohso sweet and full of flavor! We atre them at the shower on Sunday. None at home, mi hijo. Lo siendo! But you are invitied up anyway :-) I already have the wood moved and chicken coop cleaned ;-) We DO have snow, tho.
I am going to miss the strawberries in the summer!!! Yumm Yummm
Post a Comment